Application Process for German Applicants

Online Application

German applicants are required to apply online using the KIT-Bewerberportal.

The application for matriculation is open until July 15 every year for the upcoming winter term as well as until March 31 every year for the upcoming summer term. Applications have to include all required documents to be considered.

Please apply here for the MSc Materials Science and Engineering or click the button below.

Upload required documents

To finish your online application you will have to upload the required documents as PDF in the portal. Credentials and certificates that are not in German or English must be translated by a sworn translator. The original must be presented at enrollment.

You are required to enclose the following documents in your application:

  • Copy of your Bachelor Degree Certificate
    (if the Bachelor degree is not yet available at the closing date for applications but will be completed before the registration, candidates can apply with a preliminary transcript of records)
  • Proof of university entrance qualification (high school diploma / school leaving certificate)
  • Proof of basic knowledge in the area of studies or proof of a successful entrance examination
  • Written declaration by the applicant as to whether he/she has definitively failed an examination required by the examination regulations in the Master’s programme in Materials Science and Materials Engineering or a related course of study with essentially the same content or whether the right to take the examination no longer exists for other reasons
  • Proof of English Language Proficiency:
    • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum of 550 paper based test or 88 points internet based test
    • or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) band with a minimum of 6.5 an no section with less than 5.5.
      Please send us a copy including the Test Report Form (TRF) number and we will confirm it with the IELTS Verification Service.
    • It is possible to replace the TOEFL or IELTS test with a certificate of your university stating that you have completed your studies in English. The test is not necessary if your mother tongue is English or you have completed your former study program in English. In this case the official language of your former study program has to be mentioned on the final certificate, its supplement or the transcript of records.


You can check the status of your application in the application portal. You will be informed about your admission by the Students Office (Studierendenservice) with an official admission letter, a so-called ‘Zulassungsbescheid’. The ‘Zulassungsbescheid’ will be available for download in the application portal.